With a military husband, my family moves A LOT. Second to unpacking and organizing my home, finding my new grocery store routine is the biggest struggle for me whenever we’ve moved.
I’ve tried all the stores, but for the food items our household eats regularly, I find myself breaking up my shopping between Walmart and Whole Foods (A.K.A. Whole Paycheck). But hey at least its a pretty layout while you shop AND my kids will eat a clementine in the checkout line without being coerced.
For reference, we are a growing family of FIVE. We mainly consume minimally processed, whole foods. We aren’t gluten free for dangerous allergies, but my husband has a sensitivity to it, and we find that we all benefit from avoiding wheat/gluten products. Most of what I pick up at Walmart are convenience foods that aren’t consumed daily.
I grew up with a mom who loathed Walmart, I mean LOATHED it, and my sisters and I all knew it. It kind of makes me feel like the black sheep, but I now use Walmart regularly. And having lived now in TWO different resort/tourist towns where groceries are just inherently more expensive, I even find myself promoting it! Who would have thought!
Here’s my list of 25 Hidden Gems in the Walmart Grocery in Destin!
These items aren’t what I typically think of when I think of Walmart runs, but they’re a great value compared to other places I’ve tried. Almost all of these items run $1- $2 cheaper there; that’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 in savings, depending on what you normally pay!
- Bagged Organic Apples (I’ve seen gala, fuji, red delicious)– Apples are one item I buy organic regularly because I often neglect to wash them off for my kids, and they fit in their tiny hands just perfectly!
- Organic Carrot Chips– This is the only way I can get my kids to nibble on carrots!
- Wholly Guacamole Singles– My almost 2 year old boy will ONLY eat guacamole. He refuses avocado (unlike his sisters). So he smells like garlic powder all the time and would eat these bad boys for breakfast lunch, and dinner if I let him!
- Kombucha– Now, I know not everyone digs this beverage, but the price at Walmart is the cheapest I’ve seen for this guilty pleasure of mine. The only caveat is that they don’t have very many flavors and are often sold out. So, I stock up when I find them.
- Taylor Brand Stir Fry Kits — These little stir fry kits have fabulous fresh veggies ALL prepped for you. And the sauce that it comes with has decent enough ingredients that I don’t feel compelled to make my own stir fry sauce. So, if you’re in a hurry its a fabulous alternative to, say, frozen pizzas.
- Udi’s Gluten Free Plain Bagels —My kids LOVE those bagel bite pizzas (who doesn’t?), but I’m a kill joy and don’t let them eat them unless they find me at my weakest moment. So, my alternative is making our own with Udi’s GF Bagels! Its a fabulous way to end the week. Quick, easy, and filling.
- Mission Brand Gluten Free Tortillas — These are the most true to texture GF tortillas I have ever found. While I don’t love that there are of course “gums” in the ingredient list, they make the cut for quick PB&J burritos for the beach bag!
- Annie’s Gluten Free Macaroni– You know, for the nights you hire a babysitter. ?
- Apple Gate Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets– Also for those nights you hire a babysitter!
- Nature Raised Frozen Chicken Breast Strips– I buy frozen chicken breast strips every week whenever my husband is away. It’s the only way I get chicken made for myself in the present busy season of my life when he’s away. And Nature Raised is my personal favorite brand. I throw these into the Taylor Stir Fry Kits and serve over brown rice.
- Almond Meal — You can get 16 ounces for the price of 8 ounces at Whole Foods! Say what?!?!?
- Pomi Tomatoes– These are fabulous boxed instead of canned tomatoes that I use for my families favorite Risotto recipe.
- Hormel Deli Meat– As far as processed meats go Hormel is the best I have been able to find at a reasonable price. Wholefoods also carries some GREAT prepackaged deli meat, but it just is pricey.
- Parmesan Cheese– REAL AGED HARD PARM!!!!! And the kind that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg!
- Keifer (plain, blueberry, strawberry)– My kids LOVE keifer over cereal, and I love that they love it. It’s a whole dollar cheaper at Walmart.
- Orange Juice– My middle child is an OJ queen. Sans pulp, though. And since we don’t drink cows milk I have to get the one with calcium added. You can get a gallon for just under $7.
- Lemon Juice– We love lemon juice in our water and tea. The Santa Cruz brand is the cheapest here.
- Whole Grain Goldfish — The ones without all the crazy coloring. Again, my kids beg beg beg for Goldfish. So, yeah, I buy these wheat and all. But thankfully these are colored with carrot powder I believe 😉
- GOGO Squeeze Assorted Apple Sauce Pouches– I am still in the season of pouches in my purse, in the diaper bag, in the car, or we might starve to death. . .
- Natures Bakery Fig Bars– My best friend back in North Carolina gave me a case of these fig bars after my second daughter was born. OMG the best 11pm, 3am, 5am, nursing snacks EVER. So I can’t stop buying them.
- Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter– My kids would prefer I buy the Skippy Natural version, but I do so enjoy stirring up the settled natural peanut butter (NOT). Here’s a freebie, store your natural peanut butter UPSIDE down in the fridge. You never have to stir again, unless you buy the chunky…that one has a hard time with that trick.
- Traditional Medicinals Teas– “Gargle salt water. Take garlic tablets. Spoon some honey into your mouth. Drink some echinacea tea.” Those were the solve-all-the-ailments-words my mother and grandmother always spoke. So, yeah, I like Throat Coat Tea, and Echinacea Tea, and I make my kids drink it when they’re sick (with some chamomile tea to help them sleeeeeeeeppppp).
- Tom’s Toothpaste– My Father in Law is a Dentist back in Indiana and is anti fluoride, go figure! So, this is the toothpaste we use and its significantly cheaper here.
- Dr. Teals Epsom Salts & Bubble Baths– I just love these and this is the only place I have ever been able to find them.
- La Croix– My husband doesn’t drink water otherwise. And save for Target, Walmart has the best price on the regular.
P.S.Did you know the Destin Walmart has FREE Grocery Pick Up Service? I’ve used it twice, and I may just be a believer! Insider Tip: make sure you reserve your pick up time in advance, they fill up!
Do you have any favorites that you love to grab at Walmart? Let us know in the comments below!